Backyard rivalries

IHS+took+on+Lone+Star+in+our+first+homecoming+game.+Is+this+a+potential+rivalry%3F+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Backyard rivalries

IHS took on Lone Star in our first homecoming game. Is this a potential rivalry?

Since Independence is the newest addition to the Frisco ISD family, many students were wondering if IHS was going to have any rivals their first year.

A lot of the students came from many of the rivaling high schools around us.

“Being a first year school I don’t think we have a big rival yet, but it will be really easy to establish some with our students coming from Liberty, Heritage and Centennial. So it will probably be one of those three or all three as we progress,” said Kyle Story, our athletic coordinator.

Not everyone has the same thoughts as Coach Story.

Some students feel like it’s easy to determine our biggest rival.

“Our biggest rivalry is Liberty High School because all of the players are really competitive along with our players here,” said Haleigh Wilson, a junior. She isn’t the only one who feels that Liberty High School will soon be Independences rival.

“Probably Liberty High School… because the situation that happened at Canes a while ago” said Daniel Baughman, a sophomore.

He agrees with Wilson that Liberty is our biggest rival.

When new schools open and Independence grows, we will hopefully know who our number one rival really is with each sport as they progress.