The student news site of Independence High School in Frisco, Texas

The Knight Press

Filed under Feature, Showcase, Sports

Powerlifting isn’t only for boys

Coach+Walker+checks+if+the+female+powerlifters+are+using+proper+lifting+techniques.+He+does+this+to+make+sure+they%E2%80%99ll+be+ready+for+any+co-ed+competitions%2C+meets+or+even+practices.+
Coach Walker checks if the female powerlifters are using proper lifting techniques. He does this to make sure they’ll be ready for any co-ed competitions, meets or even practices.

Independence High School is one of the few schools to have a co-ed powerlifting team, which is something that puts the female powerlifters in a new perspective.

“It’s weird because you’re not used to being with all the guys…there were only two or three [girls] and there were like ten guys,” sophomore Sadie Meyers said.

In 2015, the male and female powerlifting teams joined forces when head powerlifting coach David Walker saw how well the girls and guys worked together during practice.

“I think that it’s a good experience for the guys and girls to work together. I think from the girls’ standpoint it’s really empowering,” Walker said.

The newly combined teammates felt that Coach Walker made the right decision. 

They said that the environment in powerlifting has improved, not only for the individual powerlifters but for the whole team.

“At first we [boys and girls] started lifting, we did it separate. After we combined it was so much better. The atmosphere was more positive and it was more encouraging,” junior Shyann Devlin said.

Some may think that the coaches don’t push the girls as hard as the boys, which is not the case. 

In fact, the girls say that they appreciate the coaches for treating them just like they would treat any other boy on the team.

“…He’s still hard on us just like with the guys…He pushes us like the guys,” Meyers said.

“The thing I like about the coaches is that…the coaches collectively coach everyone. And everyone’s really supportive, they don’t treat us any different because we’re girls. They probably motivate us more…They think we’re just as capable as the guys are,” Devlin said.

The girl and guy powerlifters also go to their competitions together but compete individually for a personal score.

Coach Walker believes that the meets are what keeps the co-ed team’s bond strong.

“It’s a really cool experience…Powerlifting is a sport that brings everybody together,” Walker said.